Friday, July 2, 2010

Mi Primer Día

Today was my first full day in Cabarete, and I truly mean it when I say full. Mariposa DR Directors Tricia and Jessica arrived early in the morning, and we drove down to Rio San Juan, about 30 minutes from Cabarete. I had the pleasure of visiting a small campamento that the Mariposa DR Foundation organized there. I met some high school students and teachers from Washington state, who are volunteering in the camp. They are also building homes and roadways, as well as teaching English, arts, sports, and other subjects to the students. Then, we had a business meeting during lunch at the Cabarete Coffee Company. I had a chance to indulge in coffee and free wireless while we discussed so many logistics for our summer program. I can't wait for all of the other teachers to arrive and to experience the exciting and beautiful life here!


Two girls pay attention during ESL class.


Teachers from Washington state prepare mariposas de papel for art class.


...uno, dos, tres, cuatro círculos en esta mariposa...



Gracie, a Dominican volunteer, prepares lunch for the volunteers.


Mariposa DR Foundation Executive Director Tricia Suriel poses in front of Cabarete Coffee Company. (I ended up drinking 2.5 cups of coffee there! ¡El café es muy sabroso allí!)


A poster was made from a photo of Francesca that I took back in April. Francesca will be one of our students in the Mariposa Girls Leadership Program this summer. "She is the world's most powerful force for change."


Tricia and Mariposa Assistant Director Jessica Lawson get down to business.




No comments:

Post a Comment